After Free.fr in France, the US is also getting its “Enfant Terrible” of the telecom market. Just when everybody thought becoming Bitpipes would be the way forward, this US MVNO is going to give away broadband for free. We are talking about FreedomPop. FreedomPoP will give subscribers 1GB/month for free. Except for Freemium, it will also copy other dotcom techniques like Social Marketing & Sales. For every subscriber you bring, you get more bandwidth. Additionally you can swap the bandwidth that you do not use with others. FreedomPop will also provide some Wimax-iPhone-shell that allows multiple users to connect.
How are they going to make money?
The short answer: still unknown. The long answer: Skype founders are behind the company so VoIP is probably charged. People that spend more than 1GB will have to pay $0.01/MB or $10/GB. There is also talk about making money with value-added services.
It is still too early to understand the impact of what FreedomPop will have on the 4G mobile market in the US. However the fact that Freemium, Social Marketing & Sales, etc. are used means that finally some operator is doing their homework and translating Web practices into Telecom practices…
Telruptive is changing focus…
- Hadoop for Real-Time: Spark, Shark, Spark Streaming, Bagel, etc. will be 2012's new buzzwords
- 10 ways telecom can make money in the future a.k.a. telecom revenue 2.0
- Real-Time Hadoop queries will be a reality in 2013
- Mesos: Your next highly distributed Cloud architecture framework
- NextGen Hadoop, beyond MapReduce
- Build your own 4 G LTE pico cell, GPS receiver, Bluetooth, zig bee, etc.
- Scalr, how to simplify cloud operations beyond Puppet and Chef
- Social Graph for Big Data just got a new Open-Source member: Giraph
- Trident Storm, Real-Time Analytics for Big Data
- Telecom Blue Ocean Strategy
The Top Blogs
Want to reproduce a Telruptive post?
- MapD - Massively Parallel GPU-based database wp.me/p144kK-fh 1 week ago
- A Big Data-Base that is fast but inaccurate: BlinkDB wp.me/p144kK-eT 1 month ago
- Build your own 4 G LTE pico cell, GPS receiver, Bluetooth, zig bee, etc. wp.me/p144kK-db 2 months ago
- AWS awkward features Amazon should fix and enterprise features to add wp.me/p144kK-d9 2 months ago
- 5 hardware trends to watch... wp.me/p144kK-bA 2 months ago
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
All the contents of the Blog, EXCEPT FOR COMMENTS AND QUOTED MATERIAL, constitute the opinion of the Author, and the Author alone; they do not represent the views and opinions of the Author’s employers, supervisors, nor do they represent the view of organizations, businesses or institutions the Author is a part of.
The Author is not responsible for the content of any comments made by the Commenter(s).
While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this Blog has been obtained from reliable sources, the Author is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this Blog is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind.